A Year of Events for ACA - Qld/NT
ACA – Qld/NT President Mark Williams reflects on a year full of events and activity.
On behalf of the ACA – Qld/NT Committee, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members and corporate partners for their support during 2017. To everyone who has hosted an event, opened your office for one of the national webinars, organised catering or encouraged a friend to come along to an event, thank you. Your participation helps to build and strengthen the ACA and in turn helps us to provide the resources and support for your businesses.
During the year, we conducted 12 events. The program was diverse and included:
- The Future included presentations to recent registered architects and an ‘open-letter’ style address by Michael Lavery who shared his thoughts on the role of the contemporary architect, celebrating design, and his observations from the Institute awards program.
- Annual employment update by Michael Corrigan.
- Site Tour of Churchie’s ‘New Age’ innovative learning and research centre – The Centenary Library by Brand and Slater.
- Communicate with Confidence and Influence presented by John Mulvey
- Architect’s Fees – Getting paid for your true worth! – a panel of architects included Paul Viney, Catherine Baudet, Paul Trotter and facilitated by Robert Wesener.
- Project Partnering – The Builder and Architect’s insights featured builders Damien Stokes and John Wheeler and architect Carl Brooks.
- Risky Business 2017 is always a popular event and this year included Noel Robinson, Bruce Wolfe and Louise Cutler with specialist legal commentary from John Moore, partner of Thynne McCartney, reviewing architectural services contract conditions and how to negotiate a ‘less risky’ final client services agreement.
- Margaret Cribb Childcare Centre Site Tour led by architects dwp.
- Architecture Beyond 2020 – Nathan Hildebrant and Kevin Green discussed the draft Queensland Government policies that will change the way projects are delivered, skillsets required and the impact to your business.
- Member’s Dinner and Trivia Night – The Deep Knowledge Award was highly contested and taken out by architects dwp.
- The New Workplace presented by Josephine Sukkar was the final event for the year.
Also, a big thank you to Louise Street, the Qld/NT Branch Executive Officer for helping with planning and organising each event.
Keep an eye out for the 2018 Event Calendar, which will be out early in the new year.
I would like to acknowledge our corporate partners and national sponsors for their contribution to the events program through their attendance and sponsorship support.
Queensland Corporate Partners are: Ardex Australia, GWA Bathrooms and Kitchens, James Hardie Australia, Ashburner Francis, Enware Australia, Interface, Kennedy’s Classic Aged Timbers, Armstrong Commercial Flooring, Stiebel Eltron and Stokes Wheeler.
ACA National Sponsors: Planned Cover and Cbus.
Best wishes to you and your family for a merry Christmas and happy and safe New Year.
Mark Williams is ACA – Qld/NT President and Managing Director of Enborisoff Williams Architects.