Industrial Manslaughter Laws Webinar
The next CPD webinar from ACA partner Mecca Events on 23 June will cover industrial manslaughter legislation with legal and work health and safety experts Tony Lawrence, Kate Elliott and Stephen Russell.
WHS legislation has recently consolidated a range of existing responsibilities for directors and other officers and, importantly, introduced a range of new obligations for companies to improve their workplace safety practices.
The laws set a new definition of “legal risk” associated with death or serious injury in the workplace, with the onus on organisations to demonstrate they have complied with all OH&S requirements.
These new obligations effectively widen the potential liability of directors and other officers, who now have a positive duty to be proactive in ensuring that their own personal obligations are being met under the WHS legislation.
Companies need to develop a “culture of compliance” across their workforce, if they are to meet these new standards.
The new standards apply to “all businesses” including “white collar”, and extend to mental health and other issues in the workplace.
Join Mecca Events on 23 June to hear from legal and WHS experts, Tony Lawrence (HWL Ebsworth), Kate Elliott (Elliott Safety) and Stephen Russell (Melbourne Barrister) who will:
- Explain the status of implementation of industrial manslaughter laws in Australia.
- Examine the nature of the laws and how breaches will be assessed against the “culture of compliance”.
- Provide clear steps to position your business to comply with the laws and achieve a compliant workplace culture
- Explain the duties owed by organisations and officers
- Explain the OH&S obligations for employees working from home
- Explain the implications for “white collar” businesses who are also impacted
- Detail penalties that can be applied for breaches of the laws
- Provide real life case studies of companies who have developed workplace practices and policies to comply with these new workplace laws
- Describe the process for employers to obtain the certification to Australian standards and OFSC
23 June 2021
$85 per person plus GST, 20% discount for ACA members applies (see discount code below).
Purchase includes course notes, MP4 recording of the session and CPD certificate.
Head to the Mecca Events website to make a booking.
2 formal CPD points
See the Mecca Events website for Learning Outcomes.