QLD/NT Update - March 2020
The QLD/NT branch’s latest update includes the recent vertical school site tour, the 2020 event calendar, advocacy, CPD, committee members and corporate partners.
Site Tour – Brisbane’s New Vertical Secondary College
The QLD/NT branch’s site tour of Fortitude Valley State Secondary College provided interesting insights into the challenges and opportunities presented by a city-fringe campus and a vertical school concept.
Cox Architecture’s Master Plan was developed consultatively with the community and educators, clustering large new buildings around a green space (which also deals with the site’s significant stormwater management requirements). Snaking through the site is a set-down area (no car parking is provided) encouraging students to bus or cycle to school.
The substantial, seven-storey “Junior Learning Building” (delivered by Thomson Adsett and Hutchinson Builders) provides several specialist and flexible learning spaces which (unsurprisingly) reflect much of the latest thinking around innovative teaching and learning, including team teaching. In the coming years as the campus reaches full capacity it will be encouraging to see how teachers have adapted to these innovative environments.
It’s clear that the school will be a uniquely urban and modern schooling experience for its students and perhaps it offers a glimpse into the future of schools in the city.
Director and General Manager
Calendar of Events
The Qld/NT branch has a full calendar of events planned for the year. Head to the full calendar and jot down key dates. Direct invitations will be sent out with more detailed information as we get closer to each event.
Throughout 2019 we have been involved in discussions with the BOAQ and the Queensland Government around amendments to the Architects Act and Regulations.
We have also tried to start a discussion with Government around procurement processes and we plan to make this topic a key focus in 2020 as we continue to deal with the repercussions of the Lacrosse judgement and the Shergold Weir Report.
The ACA – QLD/NT welcomes Stramit as a Corporate Partner. We look forward to their active involvement in the year ahead.
We thank our Corporate Partners for their continued support and contribution to our cause.
- Armstrong Flooring – Michael Keam
- Ashburner Francis – Peter Caune
- ASSA Abloy – Christopher Key or Andrew Cramb
- Ardex Australia – Graeme Robb
- Deltek – Anne-Marie O’Carroll-Ron
- GWA Bathrooms and Kitchens – Renton Powell
- Interface – Theresa Gallina
- Kennedy’s Timbers – Michael Kennedy
- James Hardie Australia – Stefan Bader
- Stokes Wheeler – Damien Stokes
- Stramit – Ken King
If you are interested in any Continuing Professional Development in-house training from our Corporate Partners, please contact them directly at the links above.
We currently have 93 members in Queensland and the Northern Territory. If you know someone who would benefit from becoming a member, please contact Louise Street on 0431 369 320 or email email@example.com and we will make contact with them.
Your ACA QLD/NT Committee is active and working together to raise the standing of architects in the broader community. The Committee includes:
- David Brian – Events – dwp
- Carl Brooks – Sponsorship/Events – ABM Architects
- Gilda Donegan – GHD Woodhead
- David Frost – Industrial Relations – Cottee Parker
- Kevin Gerrard – Membership – Bickerton Masters Architecture
- Steven Huntingford – NT Representative
- Charmaine Kai – Treasurer/Education – 8i Architects
- David Porgand – Vice-President – Peddle Thorp
- Denis Waring – Secretary/Education – PW Architecture
- Robert Wesener – President – Fulton Trotter Architects
- Mark Williams – Immediate Past President – Mark Williams Architects
During the year, Don Marshall resigned from the Committee. We would like to thank Don for his contribution, in particular as Treasurer and his participation in the BIM Taskforce.
This year is an election year, so if you are interested in joining our Committee, please contact Robert Wesener at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0417 736 706.