QLD/NT Branch Update – December 2023
Advocacy and an interesting mix of informative events kept the branch committee busy and engaged with the profession in 2023. Highlights include the lunch forum and interview with Queensland MP Elizabeth Watson-Brown, the popular annual Risky Business event and the always fun Trivia Night!
The ACA QLD/NT branch committee has continued to build strong relationships with the Office of the Queensland Government Architect (OQGA), the Australian Institute of Architects and the Board of Architects Queensland and Department of Energy and Public Works (DEPW), with formal meetings convened and chaired by Queensland Government Architect Leah Lang.
The Committee has continued its representation on the following:
- Office of the Queensland Government Architect – Gilda Donegan
- AACA Expert Reference Group – Charmaine Kai
- Pathway to Registration Project – Denis Waring
- AIA Practice Committee – Brett Hudson
- RAP Working Group – Brett Hudson
July – August
We have had a very eventful second half of the year. Highlights include a Planned Cover presentation in Darwin in July and a new Moss Learning course for graduates in August. The Deep Knowledge Trivia Night at The Shed Teneriffe was a great night of fun and competition once again. Congratulations to 8i Architects, who won the trophy for 2023.
September – October
In September, the popular annual Risky Business event featured a panel of speakers discussing legal insurance and practical risk management. Our October lunch forum at the University of Queensland featured Elizabeth Watson-Brown MP, who represents the electorate of Ryan in Brisbane. Her discussion with Kelly Greenop offered a captivating glimpse into her life and career, providing valuable insights. Elizabeth emphasised the importance of actively listening to the needs of people and the community, a skill she had already acquired during her previous career as an architect.
November – December
The branch committee concluded the year with the Corporate and National partnership end-of-year lunch at Stone & Wood Brisbane. It was a fantastic afternoon of celebration and discussions centred on the accomplishments of the ACA, practices and partners throughout 2023.
Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and prosperous 2024!
We currently have 126 member practices in Queensland and the Northern Territory with 1,181 Technical Staff, which is continuing to grow. Next year we aim to further embrace the regional areas of Queensland and the Northern Territory, with the support of our regional committee members. This includes extending our engagement, expanding our membership, and collaborating to strengthen the profession.
As always, we wish to extend our heartfelt appreciation to our corporate partners for their ongoing support and expertise. This includes their efforts through their in-house CPD programs that help upskill technical staff while also helping to answer general enquiries.
- Ashburner Francis Consulting Engineers
- Armstrong Ceilings
- Alspec Australia
- Kennedy’s Timbers
- Stokes Wheeler
We would like to thank each of the Committee Members, who are dedicated volunteers representing practices of all scales in Queensland and the Northern Territory, for their ongoing support throughout the year.
- Gilda Donegan, President (GHD Design)
- Brett Hudson, Vice-President, Events/ RAP (Peddle Thorp)
- Charmaine Kai, Treasurer/Education (8i Architects)
- Denis Waring, Secretary/Education (PW Architecture)
- Ben Madden, Industrial Relations (Cottee Parker Architects)
- Adam Perrier, Membership/Advocacy (Bloc Design)
- Mark Williams, Corporate Partners (Mark Williams Architects)
- Justine Ezbery, AMWF (Fulton Trotter)
- Steven Huntingford, NT Representative (Huntingford Architecture)
- Mark Kennedy, Regional Representative (Counterpoint Architecture)
Thanks also to QLD/NT Executive Officer Leanne Williams.